Saturday 21 May 2011

Chris Goes To Cannes

Published May 2009

Sabahan film director Chris Chong is currently a very happy man. I suppose you would be too, if your first full length feature film was selected for screening at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival Directors’ Fortnight and has been nominated for the highly coveted Camera d’Or (Golden Camera) - awarded to the best debut feature film of the festival. This puts Chris in the same neighbourhood with past nominees and winners at Cannes such asFrancis Ford CoppolaMira NairAnton Corbijn and Tran Ahn Hung just to name a few.

Chris's film "Karaoke" tells of protagonists Batik's trials and tribulations of life and love in a karaoke joint set in the estate of a Malaysian oil palm plantation, and the early buzz on it seems to be strong and postive.

Now it has to be stressed that not only is Cannes the oldest, most respected and sophisticated film festival on the planet, but Chris's offering is the first Malaysian film to show at Cannes in over 14 years. Realistic and down to earth, Chris's nod to his home town roots are evident in the choice of moniker for his film company, aptly and wittily named, Tanjung Aru Pictures. All in all, a truly inspiring achievement from someone Malaysia has every reason to be proud of.

Congratulations on your latest achievement. How does it feel getting this amount of recognition for your work?
CC:  It's been so overwhelming that I have not had time to really understand what's going on.  Because of the rush to get the film done in time for the official screening, I've not celebrated yet nor understand the recognition.  I'm stuck in the studio most of the time so it's hard to know what's happening in the outside world.  I can't wait to get to Kota Kinabalu to celebrate with my friends and family there. 



What got you into the film industry in the first place?
CC:  The film industry is very new to me.  It's only been in the past 2 years that I've jumped into doing bigger festivals.  But showing films in festivals doesn't mean that it is part of the industry where big business is done.  Festivals are really mostly to support art house films that are different, challenging for the audience, and breaks boundaries.  So in a sense, festivals are part of the film industry, but more for the showcase of unique films that are hard to see anywhere else.  Actually, I don't feel like I'm in the film industry.  It feels quite far away to me because I make films not to make money, but to make new kinds of films.  Unfortunately, to make films, you need money, so it's a real dilemma for filmmakers. 
 


Tell us a little more about yourself. What would you like readers to know about you?
CC:  It's best not to know too much about people who make films.  Sometimes bad people make good films (laughing). I've always wanted to be a professional international badminton player.  Mixed Doubles.
 


What projects are you currently working on, or are planning for the future?
CC: I'm excited about my next feature film because it will be shot in Kota Kinabalu.  It is a small film, but it's a dream for me to shoot in my hometown.  I'm also working on another media installation project early next year.  I've been fascinated by architecture the past few years, so that's my direction right now. 



In your opinion, how are Malaysian filmmakers perceived internationally?
CC: Malaysian filmmakers have a strong unique voice internationally right now.  The reason is because of the wide range of works that are really adventurous.  Malaysian independent cinema is definitely being eagerly watched by the world today.  The only problem is, it's not being watched by Malaysians. 
This is due to the lack of support by big businesses and creative industries.  Anyone and everyone working in the creative fields should be supporting artists of all kinds, not just film.  Hopefully this will change when Malaysians believe that life is about being part of the arts and culture around us.  Without it, what do we have to look forward to?  What do we share with our families in the future?




Given a chance, name your dream cast of actors you would love to work with?
CC:  I don't have a dream cast because my desire to make films starts from 'objects and places'.  Actors and the film crew all work together to make these 'objects and places' into something cinematic.  It's a wonderfully challenging and satisfying process to make something out of common things we all take for granted.


What do your family and friends think about your chosen profession?
CC: My family have always been supportive of what I do, and my friends just laugh at me and pass the microphone to me to sing another song at the karaoke.  When I make my own personal films, it is not a profession because I don't do it to make a profit.  So I think my friends and family are still waiting for me to get a real job.  (laughing)




Any advice for budding filmmakers out there? Some tips perhaps?
CC:  Making films is not the only way to express yourself.  Being socially responsible to the environment, taking care of families, helping your community are all experiences you can use to express yourself.  Film is only one very small part.  Seriously, making films is not important.  If you're not passionate about the world around you, then you'll have nothing to say. 
I think filmmaking is kind of like a personal diary.  You write down your experiences in the busy crazy outside world after a long day and it is never spoken.  But when you start to share your experiences, people will listen because they want to know your point of view on the same world you share with them.  This is how cinema can speak to everyone. 

To find out more on Chris's work visit www.tanjungarupictures.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.