Thursday 8 September 2011

Sometimes, There Is No Accounting For Taste

Published August 2011

I will be the first to admit that I am a typical hypocrite. I write, but I hardly read. I give advice but I rarely take it. I say black when what I really mean is white. And you know those people who are fully capable of enjoying a movie without having read the book? Yes, I'm that woman. And if I hear someone saying “But the book was so much better than the film,” just one more time, I shall do them, and quite possibly myself, an injury. Sadly I am unable to think if a situation where it is the other way around vis a vis film and novel. If you have an example of a film that's either been turned into a book or is better than the book, please let me know.


Now I have to come clean and admit that I love the Twilight movies. Sigh and roll your eyes if you must, I understand and don't hold it against you. I've not read the books and although I have nothing but respect for Stephanie Meyer, I don't see myself veering off to the Young Adult section of the bookshop to pick up any of her literary offerings in a hurry. Apparently not only am I a typical hypocrite, I'm a snob to boot.


In all honestly I wasn't aware of the popularity of her novels until the first film came out. I trundled along to watch it with the rest of the world, not knowing exactly what to expect but remembering that I had low expectations, having already suffered through a few stinkers in the weeks prior. Anyone who knows me would have a hard time believing that I, Shan Sandhu, would willingly go to the cinema, under no duress, and pay good money to be crammed into a funky- smelling, battered cinema with a large number of teenagers. I could almost feel the surge of young, angsty hormones floating around, no doubt brought about by the prospect of swooning over Robert Pattinson's Edward character for 2 hours. Yep that pale guy who sparkles when he's in sunlight, whose constantly pained expression makes him look as though he's got a volatile rumbly tummy.


It is not that I am a glutton for punishment, and trust me, I am very fussy about the movies I do watch. The only reason that I was sat in my seat, glued to the big screen was due to one very important factor: The movie had vampires in it. True story. I love me a good vampire or werewolf movie I do. I don't enjoy sci-fi and I'm not a fan of the general horror genre at large. You can keep the machete-wielding guys in hockey masks. I'll just take my vampies and my wolfies, thanks.


While we're on the subject, I remember that feeling of pure joy and abject happiness when the first Underworld movie made its rounds; vamps versus werewolves and Kate Beckinsdale in all her black leather hunter broodiness. Awesome, awesome movie. Low on the horror scale but still highly watchable. I've got fond memories of much-loved films such as The Howling (Part 1. Only), Bram Stoker's Dracula (visual mastery from Francis Ford Coppola. A stellar cast. However, I am unable to explain Keanu Reeves), Salem's Lot (the 2004 version with Rob Lowe, Donald Sutherland and Rutger Hauer kept me up nights) and my personal favourite, An American Werewolf In London. I have the director's cut on dvd and it cost me about RM200 at the time but I never once regretted that purchase and I still watch it from time to time.


What I enjoyed about An American Werewolf was that it got the job done. I sat, I watched, I laughed at the right parts, I got scared when I was supposed to, I hid under my duvet, I fast-forwarded the gory bits, I avoided empty tube stations from then on, and CCR's Bad Moon Risin' will always give me a little shiver each time I hear it. Even a family holiday to London many years ago left me with a queasy, anxious feeling especially while walking around Leicester Square – the location of the most pivotal scenes in the movie. To my mind , American Werewolf delivered what any good vamp/were movie should. A scare so good it was visceral.


But back to Twilight. I was aware that it was campy, teenage love stuff but what I wasn't prepared for was how reeled in I became. Could Edward save Bella in time and stop James? Would Bella's hair ever look anything other than perfect? In the greater scheme of things who cares, right? Well I did. I gave in, sat back and enjoyed the film for what it was: Entertainment. And when I found out that the subsquent films featured werewolves I was sold - even if they're ridiculously handsome, ethical, morally sound wolfies who don't go around eating people willy-nilly.

Granted the Twilight flicks are not your usual bloody, gory fare, in fact I don't think the vamps even have fangs, but like I said: I'm a typical hypocrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.