Thursday 29 September 2011

A Little Rant



Published September 2011


Today's piece may raise a couple of hackles but I'm prepared for it. I'm writing because I am tired of seeing how discourse on hot news topics can become easily distorted and spiral out of control. If the end result is a positive one, I suppose I could try to slightly overlook the whole 'means to an end' argument. But let's not get silly about it, people. Please.


I am all for Facebook pages that highlight important issues such as human, land, environmental and animal rights. They provide a valuable service as they're usually the most suitable arena for general interaction with like-minded individuals. These pages are perfect for NGOs and the like, to disseminate appropriate and relevant information. I'm a fan of quite a few Sabah-based pages and while I never really comment or get involved in the discussion (I've often believed that if I don't have enough knowledge on a topic, I'm better off keeping quiet), I do observe.


But now, it's as though I'm reaching the end of my tether. I feel inundated with speculative urban legends, facts that get distorted and comments that are based on emotion rather than logic. I've been paying particular attention across the board to discussions regarding a recent article in the media about several plots of land on three privately owned islands off our waters which are apparently up for sale.


While I strongly agree that it's important to educate ourselves on what can and can't be done in the state, I came across comments from people who jumped to several different conclusions with gusto, tarring this seemingly straightforward, albeit interesting topic with that of the controversial sale of Labuan island to the Federal government.


I'm from Labuan. I suppose that's why I felt a little sensitive towards the sweeping generalizations from certain individuals shouting from their proverbial rooftops about how we're losing our heritage to foreigners. A few other misplaced points were brought up, and the discussion was steered completely off-topic.


I was perplexed as I genuinely wanted to learn and find out more about the issue of the three islands but instead it felt as though I was witnessing a blind-leading-the-blind exercise in futility. I am grateful to those who shared sensible, intelligent information, but sadly they were the minority. I couldn't help but wish the rest would just stop to read. More importantly, I wished that they would stop to really think.


As many of us look to these pages to get clear, unbiased updates, my point is very simply this: Can we just check our emotions at the door and let relevance reign?


I shudder to think at what some readers are taking away with them from discussions such as these, as unfounded statements based solely on opinion without fact can lead to irresponsible behaviour. Wrong assumptions have the potential to turn into volatile, dangerous things. At best, they are irritating.


I agree with the need to keep a watchful eye on the goings-on in our own backyards. After all, if we didn't love Sabah we wouldn't care. But let's please keep things in order. Otherwise when the next hot topic pops up I might not even want to pay attention. One can only cry wolf so many times.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, this is the nature of democracy -- rule of the mob. Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail next time. We can hope, can't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John and thanks for your comment. Sadly it seems as though there are individuals who pride themselves on seeing just how fast they can get their own knickers in a twist over the most innocent/trivial of matters. They almost have it down to an art form.
    Perhaps I should focus on the lighter side of this issue and dole out awards instead. Fastest knicker twister wins a leopard print thong. Do you think it'll catch on? :)

    ReplyDelete

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.