Saturday 21 May 2011

Presenting Anna-Rina

Published April 2008


Anna-Rina Rahim is a vivacious, energetic photographer who lists rock climbing and hiking as her hobbies and has trouble picking a favorite between Paco and Raul ; her two cameras. Winner of the Cleo Magazine Young Achievers Award, Anna-Rina is a fine example of why following your passion is so very important. A self-confessed romantic whose camera skills are entirely self-taught, Anna-Rina's photography is well on it's way to winning her more awards and accolades. 



* Congratulations on your latest achievement. How did it feel to win the Cleo award? 
- Winning the Cleo Young Achiever Award felt surreal. It was totally unexpected as the other contestants (one of them is a fellow Sabahan ; the talented Mia Palencia) are young women whom I feel have achieved so much more than me. I do thank my lucky stars that my friends, my clients and Cleo readers voted for me to win this award. Receiving this award gives me the reassurance that I've made the right step to pursue photography as my career and it's also a motivational boost for me to push myself further to deliver better quality work to all my clients.







* You've made a big departure from your previous occupation. How did you know that photography was something you wanted to pursue professionally?
- I started photography as a hobbyist in August 2006 and I shot my first solo wedding in December 2006. For the first 8 months of 2007, I was doing it on weekends, assisting other photographers and shooting on my own as and when possible.

I still remember the exact moment I thought to myself that I wanted to pursue this on a full-time basis. It was right after shooting an engagement session in Malacca. It was night by the time I hit the road and while driving back to KL and I had plenty of time to think. 
I realized that no matter how tired I was at the end of a long day of shooting, I was happy. I was happy to be part of my client's special day, I was happy to be given the responsibility of capturing their memories, I was happy to be given the opportunity to meet so many people from different walks of life and to have friendships grow from there. Was happy and still am.

I know this sounds morbid, but I also thought to myself that if I were to have one year left to live, I would rather do something I am passionate about and earn less than be somewhere I am not happy and earn more. I didn't want to look back on my life with regrets or thoughts of 'what-if'. 

The following day, I tendered my resignation and started pursuing my dream, which has become reality. It has been one of the best things I've done in my life thus far. 






* What type of photography do you enjoy the most?
- I like all of them! Having the opportunity to record down someone's most memorable day like their wedding or even just a couple or family portrait session means a lot to me. It's not everyday that someone opens up their door for you to capture their most intimate moments, and I'm blessed to have the opportunity to be part of it all. 




* What are your sources of inspiration in getting a good feel for a shoot?
- As cliché as this may sound, its the bond between the couple which inspires my shoots. Whenever a client of mine thanks me for 'making them look good' in the shot, I tell them that they made themselves look good. I was just there to capture the moment.


Having said that, I make it a point to meet up with the couple before I shoot their wedding, just to find out more about what their interests are and to get a feel of how open they are to suggestions. I also explain to them that they should just relax and be themselves as that's when you get the best pictures, not when you're all stiff and self-conscious with a camera around.






* Who are your favorite photographers?
- Mainly wedding photographers from the States; amongst many others are Jessica Claire, Amelia Lyon and Nate & Jaclyn of The Image is Found.






* Tell us a little bit about the equipment you use.
I'm currently using Canon bodies and lenses. During weddings, I'd carry 2 cameras with me with different lens so that I can shoot on the fly and not waste time changing lenses. For weddings, I mainly use a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens so that I can zoom in on peoples expression and get overall shots as well. For portraiture sessions, I like to use fast, prime lenses. 






* Any tips for up-and-comers?
While having passion is really important when it comes to photography, I believe that its important for photographers to be business savvy as well. I learned it the hard way as I started out with only passion and almost zero knowledge on how to run the business. I quickly learned by reading up on how to start small business and it has helped me with my workflow as well. 

Besides that, having a website showcasing your best work will also help a lot as these days, most couples would actually surf online for information. 


Visit Anna-Rina at www.anna-rina.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.