Saturday 21 May 2011

Miss Masala

Published April 2009

Mallika Basu is a name that is fast becoming popular in kitchens all over the UK. Food enthusiast, blogger and author, Mallika's site, Quick Indian Cooking, has pretty much taken over the blogosphere as she captures the quintessence of the travails of Indian cookery with an aptness not many are able to rival. 

Her kitchen prowess, coupled with a sharp wit and humorous writing style has also led to a book deal with Harper Collins. Mallika's handbag sized book "Miss Masala" is due out in March 2010 and has already been described by those in the know as a perfect spice-laden blend of Madjur Jaffrey meets Sex And The City.  


* Tell us a bit about your background, what got you blogging about Indian cooking in the first place?
MB : I started my career as a journalist and then went on to work in Public Relations. During this time, I taught myself how to cook Indian food. I missed it so much in cold and grey England, away from my family home in Kolkata, India. I came across a real misconception among people that Indian cooking is time consuming and difficult. I spent my days finding gaps in the market for client, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to explore a possible one for myself. That is, a normal girl next door who cook and eats home cooked Indian food and lives life to the fullest. The blog was born to change these misconceptions about Indian home cooking through the everyday stories of someone that everyone could relate to.



* Due to the success of your site do people recognize you on the street?
MB : Not yet, but I have a false beard and a blonde wig for when that does start happening.



* Must-Have Indian condiments for a kitchen?
MB : Mango pickle, microwave-friendly papad, frozen ready-to-cook flatbreads like naan and rotis and yogurt. That's a full basic meal. And then you can venture to the spices. I started my Indian cooking efforts by buying all the ingredients listed for the two simplest recipes I could find –Chicken Curry and Keema Mattar – and I built my spice collection from there.



* What is your earliest and happiest food memory?
MB : Running around our enormous Kolkata flat in my pants with a ripe mango half in my mouth and half dribbling down my chin. Summertime back there was mango heaven.


* Congratulations on the upcoming book. Could you give us some details about that?
MB : Thanks! It's called Miss Masala and is a lifestyle narrative cookbook. So it'll be full of anecdotes and irreverent observations from my life, my personal learnings combined with simple recipes for even the most novice Indian cooks. It's being published by Harper Collins in March 2010 and they have grand plans to make it a bright and funky handbag-sized feast. I can't wait!



* Funniest kitchen mishap?
MB : Probably when I stuck a tin of baked beans in the microwave, which then exploded. Or more recently when I dry roasted semolina and took the Teflon coating off a non-stick pan with a lifetime guarantee. Seriously, there are way too many mishaps. I religiously burn, scald and cut myself in the kitchen. Even staying sober until the food is cooked for my own dinner parties is a real challenge most of the time.



* What would be the biggest misconception about you?
MB : That I am some academy trained, serious, food intellectual. I believe food is one important slice of a full, fun and vibrant life and want to spread the love about delicious Indian home cooking without the frills.




* All-time favorite Indian dish that you couldn't live without?
MB : It would have to be Tarka Dal. Dal is a lentil curry we eat with virtually every meal and tarka refers to the spices tempered in hot oil that are poured into it. This buttery yellow concoction is so comforting. I often have this with steaming hot Basmati rice and some chilli pickle.



* Apart from Indian food what other types of cuisine do you enjoy on a regular basis? Any thoughts on Malaysian food?
MB : I eat dim sum every Sunday and regularly go out for Japanese, Thai and Malaysian food. I absolutely love the taste and texture of Malaysian food and my favourites are the coconut milk chicken curry, Beef Rendang, Pandan Chicken and  Penang Laksa. I've also tried making Nasi Goreng at home and it wasn't too bad. Although I wouldn't serve it to my Malaysian friends yet!



* What would you recommend to first timer looking to start experimenting with preparing Indian cuisine?
 MB : The number of spices can be a bit daunting for a first timer so I would remind them that you can easily leave an ingredient or two out if you don't have them. The trick is to make sure you have most of the ingredients, and the one that gets a mention in the recipe name. Also, practice makes perfect. If you don't get it right the first time just try again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.