Saturday 21 May 2011

Cut & Print

Published February 2008


Out of all the artistic pursuits that I have either personally indulged in or have given a serious nod of acknowledgment to, film making is something that I've never even thought about looking into. I guess I'll put it down to the recent buzz over the Oscars this week.

Sure I love movies. Having sat through some of my favorite films at least 20 times over the years, I am pretty sure I am still able to annoyingly quote lines from the cringeworthy spoof classic 'Airplane'. I can speak with authority on a number of John Hughes's 80s teenage flicks (Sixteen Candles,Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the like) as I pounce on any opportunity to do a tacky impression of Silvio from The Sopranos.

My questionably dodgy tastes aside, being involved in the film industry is something that really deserves some major props. The number of hours spent studying and honing this craft to a fine and detailed art really does sound daunting. High tech equipment. Fancy camera angles. Location, location, location. And I suppose a decent plot and a cast and crew would be other basic requirements as well. But it's all very well to pick up a handycam and point and shoot. What about the finessing and turning a bunch of home videos into a film of sorts?
I had questions that needed answering. Living over here in Kota Kinabalu doesn't offer much by way of the chance run-in with a film director or producer so I turned to an old friend of mine who was able to fill in the blanks.

Robin Moran is a film director and producer for Random Films in Jakarta, Indonesia. With three feature films under his belt and more projects to come, Robin is clearly someone with a finger firmly on the pulse of this growing industry in South East Asia. Having worked on a number of short films and music videos, Robin also wrote, directed and produced two Indonesian movies 'Romantic' (2004) and 'Maskot' (2006) which went on to garner several nominations at international film festivals. According to a statement from the LFS Film Festival in London, "Maskot was short listed from an entry of 330 submissions from 60 countries to be nominated in the highest categories of this festival," and it also went on to win a Best Supporting Actor Award in Festival Film Jakarta for Butet Kartaredjasa's performance as the character Misran.'Maskot' was the first Indonesian film to ever be screened at the Cinequest Film Festival n San Jose, California. It was also nominated for Best Film and Best Script at the Asian Festival of 1st Films in Singapore and Best Film at the 4th Bali International Film Festival in 2006.
Robin was also associate producer on Singaporean film 'Gone Shopping' (2007) which received rave reviews around the region and beyond. World renowned entertainment publication Variety Magazine calls it "Elegantly shot on HD, and with a semi-fairy-tale atmosphere, this is something small but fresh from Singapore's tiny industry."




* Could you give us some background information on yourself?

I'm Indonesian.  I was born in Jakarta, Indonesia on January 2, 1976.  I went to boarding school in Singapore, did my BS in Communication Studies in Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA. 
While I was studying, I interned in production and post production companies in the US and Indonesia.  I landed a job in Los Angeles after graduation where I was involved in the post production of films such as Titantic, Man in the Iron MaskThe GameFight Club, and TV shows likeLaw & Order and Sliders. 

I moved back to Jakarta and became an editor, working on documentary and feature films.  Eventually, I landed a job directing a music video for Indonesian indie rock group Sheila on 7's track "Tunjuk Satu Bintang".  That music video got me into the London Film School in the UK where I received my MA in Filmmaking.  After graduation, I moved back to Jakarta again, editing before landing a feature project entitled "Maskot" in which I co-wrote, co-produced, and directed.  Having finished that, I was involved in a film in Singapore entitled "Gone Shopping" as associate producer.  I'm currently back in Jakarta working on commercials while heading towards my next film.



* What made you decide on a career in film making?

The lure of this started from my fascination of acting.  I fell in love with theater in Singapore and just focused my energies towards it.  Around the same time, the school acquired video equipment for documenting the school plays and events.  Being a tech and gadget geek, I joined up the AV Club and played with that.  That eventually led me and some of my boarding school friends to making short skit videos.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I was slowly developing skills for camera and directing.  Eventually, I like being behind the camera more than being in front and I just continued exploring.  This is not to say that I wouldn't act again.


* Was there any one particular movie growing up that has left a lasting influence on you?
So many to mention, but for sure the original Star Wars trilogy, Grease, the Indiana Jones trilogy, Goonies, Jaws, and Casablanca.



* How would you characterize a 'good movie'?
A film that is both entertaining, and provokes and inspires thought.  Don't get me wrong, I love "Bring it On!"  as much as I love "Punch Drunk Love"



* What can one expect about a life spent behind the lens?

One has to be ready for the intense amount of work that comes in this industry.  One would think that you'll make a lot of money but the glamorousred carpets and parties are only 0.01% of what really happens in this business.  You'll feel like you died and people are bringing you back to life using a defibrillator, and the cycle repeats.  It is a lot of hard work that is rewarding in so many different ways.  I'm so privileged to be part of this.



* Any memorable moments on the set?
A lot.  I remembered when I was shooting my graduation film in Jakarta, I had friends coming on set and asking "Wow, this looks fantastic.  Are you making a feature?"  It was a short film.
Another incident was during rehearsals, I was using improvisation techniques to get the actors to be more comfortable with each other.  At some point in the improv, the actors "clicked" and took the scene in a completely different direction, which I later on integrated into the film.  I love that.

When shooting "Maskot", I couldn't believe that the star chicken (yes, I used a live chicken) took direction very well.  But that cock was a prima-donna and didn't want any of his stand-ins to take the spotlight.  We had to separate him from the rest of the chickens behind the scenes.



* Any plans to shoot anything over here in Malaysia?

Do you have a script? *laughs*  There's a story idea that a friend in Singapore has which I'm hoping will eventually become a script.



* A top ten list of your favorite films?

I wouldn't be able to do it justice.
The Star Wars trilogy
The Godfather trilogy
The Indiana Jones trilogy
The Goonies
Casablanca
Citizen Kane



* Any thoughts on the recent Oscars?The Coen brothers rule.

If you would like to contact Robin for more information visit him at robinmoran.com. Although his website has his filmography, a more updated one can be found on imdb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.