Saturday 21 May 2011

Borneo International Marathon

Published April 2008


Sunday October 12th 2008 will see the start of the Borneo International Marathon, the first run of it's kind in the state in over 20 years and is currently the only marathon being organized on the island of Borneo. 


Considering the fact that almost every major city worldwide has at least one yearly marathon and running communities around the world are growing by leaps and bounds, a small group of runners here in Kota Kinabalu decided that Sabah should be put on the map as well.  Andrew Voon, Chris Nielsen, Simon Amos and Urs Weisskopf are four friends who believe that it is high time Sabah became a part of this international fraternity. Exhibiting a serious passion for running as well as a genuine drive to see more novice runners participating, Andrew, Chris, Simon and Urs are also hoping to raise funds for several charities and NGO initiatives as well.



ANDREW, WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO START PARTICIPATING IN MARATHONS?

AV : It all came about 2 years ago - July 2006 to be more precise - at a reunion of university friends in Bintan Island, Indonesia. It was pretty much an alcohol fueled challenge but long story short I accepted the challenge to run my first marathon with these friends in Singapore 2006.  Unfortunately those friends who raised the challenge chickened out and didn't even register for the marathon. Only one of them entered the half marathon. 
To get started, I knew I would need a running partner as it would be very difficult to run the long training distances alone; so I asked Chris Nielsen if he wanted to take up the challenge and he agreed so off we went. 

We downloaded some training programmes and asked Urs for some advice, as he had done a bit more running than we that point and had already began training for the Brunei marathon.
 While we were in the 2nd half of the 18 week training programme, the distances became rather serious, so Chris and I thought why not run for a cause, rather than make such a huge effort for "nothing". So we decided to make it a fund raising effort for Breast Cancer Foundation and asked our friends to support. 

As a result we raised RM16,000 for breast cancer and following another marathon in Phuket in June 2007 and Singapore again in Dec 2007, we raised a total of another RM34,000, which were given to KASIH, SOS Heart Fund, a prosthetic leg for an amputee farmer, NASAM and several other worthy causes.

 So now the motivation to continue running marathons is to raise funds for the needy and neglected in Sabah and for obvious health reasons, of course.With the Borneo International Marathon in October, we will also raise money for preservation of rare local animals, environmental conservation and awareness of global warming.


WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE A NOVICE RUNNER WHO WANTED TO START TRAINING FOR A MARATHON?
AV : Firstly, you need good shoes and proper running attire. For shoes, there are brands such as Adidas that have stores in Kuala Lumpur that provide free analysis of your feet type and therefore, suitable shoes.The wrong shoes will create a lot of knee, feet and back problems whereas the right shoes will even get rid of your previous problems - simply because the shoes you had before for exercising were the wrong ones.

Secondly, you need friends who share the interest not only in getting fit but also in running as an exercise. There are of course many exercises to get fit but like all exercises, you need like minded friends to enjoy the sport. It is definitely one of the best fat burning exercises around and requires the least gear; a pair of shorts, running shirt and good running shoes, that's all.

Thirdly, search and download a marathon or half marathon programme from the net that you and your running mates are comfortable with and that fits your schedules.There are lots of free training programmes on blogs and running clubs' websites.There is no such thing as "no time to run". Just make the time.
For example, you can eat small meals and have healthy snacks all day so that when you run you are not too full and you are always "fueled" for a run. Fourthly, watch what you eat and drink, especially before a long run of over 20kms. And get enough sleep.

Lastly, run for a cause; find something really worthwhile to run for - as it will provide you the motivation to reach your target and goals.



CHRIS, WHAT ARE SOME OF THE INJURIES OR MEDICAL CONDITIONS THAT YOU'VE SUSTAINED DURING A MARATHON?

CN : I get a "hot head". When I overdo it during exercise, especially in the heat of the day, my body overheats. It doesn't affect me until after the marathon, but then I need to sit in a swimming pool or a cold bath to cool off. It can last for hours afterwards - I start to get hot and dizzy, then have to keep getting back into the bath. The first time it happened I collapsed and ended up in hospital, so now I know what it is and how to look after myself.
Apart from this, I've lost a couple of toe nails during a run. Vaseline is good stuff for avoiding this as well as preventing small injuries to other parts of the body.



WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO HYDRATING PROPERLY WHILE RUNNING?

CN : Asia is hot. Drink lots of fluids, its very important.
I start by drinking a lot before the run. I try to drink at least 1 litre but more often 1.5 to 2 litres of fluids in the hour before the run. During the run, I aim for around 1 to 1.5 litres per hour. Depending upon the time of day and how far I've gone, I then follow up with some high carbo load, yeast based beverage. This tastes extra special after a long run.
I still haven't figured out how much sport drink should be drunk while running. I generally drink around 25% sport drink and 75% water, but I'm still finding the right balance with this. How much of these sport drinks and bars you eat and drink really depends on the person and how you are feeling on the day.



SIMON, WHAT HAVE YOU PERSONALLY OVERCOME WITH REGARDS TO PARTICIPATING IN A MARATHON? 
SA : Most significantly fear, I was scared that I could not do it, that I would not be able to get fit enough and would fail. I thought that my body was too fat, too old and had not done enough exercise because I like to watch football on the TV. I was very pleased that most people at Likas and Bukit Padang where I like to train are like me and do not run fast or very far.

I learned that taking the time out to train was in itself a benefit, I got some discipline into my life because I had a training partner who I did not want to let down, so I always made it to the running track to meet him and we stuck to a programme. Now I look forward to my runs and have the confidence of knowing that I can do something that I thought I could not do.



HOW IMPORTANT IS MENTAL CONDITIONING WITH REGARDS TO RUNNING?
SA : It's all in the mind, it is a cliché because it is true. The physical challenge is no different really than walking up five floors instead of taking the lift, we all know that we can do it but the thought of it puts us off. When you decide to do it the act is easy and it always feels better afterwards. Try it, you might like it.

I have learned not to spend too much time thinking about it before I go for a long run, I just get there and start running, its my way of not getting stressed. I know a guy who is the opposite, he worries before a run and only starts to relax after a couple of kilometres.

For the really big runs I spend a little time thinking about my pacing and making sure I have the right food and drink before, during and after the run. Using fancy supplements or sports drinks doesn’t really make much difference at all and can make you think that they will make it easier.

By using a good training schedule and taking it slowly I have learned that I am capable of running the distances I want to. It's a great feeling to be fit.


URS, OUT OF ALL THE MARATHONS YOU'VE RUN, WHICH HAVE BEEN THE MOST MEMORABLE AND WHY?

UW : Every Marathon is memorable in its own way.The Half-Marathon in Lombok, Indonesia was memorable because it was really “Kampung style”. Furthermore I was running with a younger Sheraton colleague whom I beat by a few minutes.
The Brunei Marathon in 2006 was my first Full-Marathon and therefore memorable as being the first time I ran the full distance.
The Marathon in Zurich, Switzerland was memorable due to the fact that it was the running experience with the most spectators, very animated, was in my home country, was very well organized and last but not least I ran it in my personal best of 3hours 48minutes.

The Half-Marathon in Phuket, Thailand was memorable as it was the first time that I travelled with a group of likewise minded friends to a foreign destination with the purpose of doing a long run.
The Mt. Kinabalu Climbathon - what else can I say. No words can be found to describe the feeling of going all out, testing one's own limits by getting up and down the mountain in 6 hours (The winner from Spain is doing it in less than 3 hours). If I had to choose one Marathon as being my most memorable, I have to go for the Mt. Kinabalu Climbathon, even it is not a Marathon in its traditional form.



WHAT CAN RUNNERS EXPECT FROM THE BORNEO INTERNATIONAL MARATHON? 
UW : For the runners from Kota Kinabalu, this will be the chance for them to have an effective and organized international running event right at their doorstep. We hope that people will be proud to participate in this and that people will come along to cheer on their loved ones, friends and colleagues. Many of the runners will find out how beautiful Kota Kinabalu really is. We will encourage non-runners to be participating as well in the one or other way to make it an overall memorable event.

Runners coming in from other parts of Sabah and abroad can expect a good combination of running the traditional distance(s) of a full-, ½-, or ¼- Marathon in a setting not matched by many venues around the world.

That everyone is having fun is important to us. We will incorporate the necessary side activities to make it a memorable event for the experienced runner and occasional runner alike. Kota Kinabalu and Sabah have the right background to offer that, and we are encouraging all visitors to hang around for a few days after the marathon to enjoy the treasures offered in this part of the world.


Website : www.borneomarathon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.