Friday 15 July 2011

Pitching Woo

Published January 2011


Some of you may know that my current career revolves around the media industry. To be specific, I handle all editorial content for an online magazine that caters to a niche market.

As is the trend with anything related to the online or social media brackets, current and up-to-the-minute information is key – a slight benefit we have over our print counterparts.

When someone enquires about my profession I'm often asked about how I find content for the magazine. A very fair question. Deciding on content involves a combination of research to interest your core readership, quality control, ensuring features are in keeping with the direction of the publication and being aware of new styles, trends and market changes. Another good question I'm asked is how freelancers would go about submitting content.

For the large majority of the time I've been extremely fortunate in my dealings with PR and marketing representatives who work based on international standards and are therefore pleasantly professional and get me what I need, when I need it. My requests are never disregarded and often prioritized. When deadlines are looming, this is an unbelievable help.
As for freelancers, I only work with a very small group of regular contributors based on their experience and reliability when it comes to feature submissions. It's a symbiotic relationship and I can rest assured that the contributors who are, in effect, representing the magazine at events and media junkets, are always professional and responsible.

But sometimes, things can go pear-shaped. Certain earnest and enthusiastic individuals have been known for over-follow-through. This means a press release or a pitch for a feature is emailed to me more than once. At least two phone calls. One to check if I received the email. Another to ask if I'm going to run the feature. If I chose not to, there might even be a phone call to ask me why. It's happened before.

There is an art to pitching and it usually includes following the rules, all the while maintaining a level of professional courtesy.

First, it's good to know that editors usually shift through a lot of emails each day and we often work on public holidays too. I can vouch for my own personal record of receiving 62 emails in the space of 15 hours.
Bearing that in mind, it is extremely important that those who are interested in pitching should first do their research. Is your event or feature something that blends in perfectly with the content of the magazine in question?
There is very little point of trying your level best to submit something that just doesn't fit. Know the magazine, know your product and know what you're trying to tell me. An article on finding the right babysitter for working mothers would definitely work in a magazine geared exclusively to professional women with families. It won't work for a magazine targeted at sailing enthusiasts or bird watchers.


Getting miffed at me because I have to adhere to content specifications and won't run what you send me, will not win you any brownie points. Making snide comments about any publication or editorial staff for being unresponsive because you didn't dazzle them with your brilliance also doesn't work and will definitely make them think twice about having to deal with you in the future. Fact.
I personally don't mind being sent resumes to confirm the strength of a freelancer's writing. But if you're thinking of doing this you probably should be fairly confident about your skills already. And if you're based in one of the capital cities around Asia – score.

For those submitting press releases, provide all the information needed. With the exception of minor changes which can occur, assume that an editor will not have the time to check facts with you.
If a press release is incomplete (think introduction, highlights, contact information and images), most will simply skim through and go on to the next email.
Never underestimate the power of hi-resolution photographs. If you want your products, events, outlet, restaurant, hotel (or in some cases, even yourself) to look good then get me the right photographs. It really is as simple as that, sometimes.

Another point to bear in mind is the follow up. Based on my communication with a few editors from regional publications, the common consensus is that an email is the best start. This can be followed up with a phone call two or three days later, just to check that the editor has indeed received the email and should they require any further information, you are on hand to answer their questions.
And for the most part, if editors are interested, they will also contact you. If, after the initial phone call you hear nothing back, move on.

A special note for new freelancers. My time is not your time. I have to plan editorial line-ups weeks and sometimes even months in advance. Our publication is one that is updated once a week with seven different channels that all require equal attention. Yes, we're a busy lot over here.
If you're going to submit a feature on an event that is time-sensitive and the editor has given you the go-ahead, then don't miss the deadline. You will be adding to their workload by making them go around you and dealing directly with the marketing representatives of said event. They could have done that themselves.

If you've promised a submission date do try your best to deliver. The reason why many chose to give contributors the go ahead is because good writers are always able to give a personalized twist on writing with smart wordplay – which makes for better reading.
I'll admit that as a freelancer a few years back I too was guilty of missing a few deadlines due to serious overwork from my then full-time job. It wasn't as though I was lolling about being lazy but still, it was a weak excuse and now I understand the trouble I might have caused the editors I answered to.

Now this is just an add-on, but this can sometimes make or break a first impression. When writing in I have no issue with being addressed as 'Dear Editor', especially if we've never met or communicated before.
For those who have managed to get my full name, please do not misspell it or use the incorrect salutation. I for one am very proud of the name my parents gave me. I implore you not to butcher it. When in doubt, 'Dear Shan' works perfectly.

When considering submissions, one of the best things you can do for any publication is to make sure that you're the right fit for them, and that they're the right fit for you. With the perfect pitch, the possibilities are endless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.