Friday 15 July 2011

The Layperson's Take on Heart Health

Published February 2010


It would be fair to say that I have a somewhat active social life. Translated, this means that late nights coupled with the bad diet that points to the (so-called) freedoms of bachelorhood, are regular fixtures. Do I enjoy myself while I’m imbibing and indulging? Well, yes. I’m no hypocrite in this department. But the tinges of guilt at taking my health so blatantly for granted, are beginning to show.


In an effort to act my age (in spite of what my behaviour and mental capabilities seem to suggest), I thought it only appropriate to take steps to improve my nutritional intake. In a moment of unabashed grown-up-ness, my trip to the grocery store resulted in shopping that was very sensible. A couple of quarts of milk, eggs, green tea, a variety of fruit, fresh yoghurt and a little salmon sashimi were items that I saw as appropriate purchases.


So sensible was this shopping of mine that after I cleared a path through all the beer cans and boxes of takeaway in my fridge, I arranged everything just so and stepped back to admire my handiwork. “This is the refrigerator of a grown-up,” I thought to myself with smug satisfaction.


I guess it was perfect timing then that I received a newsletter from a good friend of mine the very next day. Dr. Mubina Jiwa, a mate from high school days in Singapore, is now a very well respected Naturopath based in Toronto, Canada. From what I understand, a Naturopath is a medical professional who highlights the natural health benefits of fruits, vegetables and various meats as well vitamins and minerals. But seriously, Google the lady. You’ll find that she is a dedicated and well renowned expert in her particular field of medicine.

In her latest newsletter, Mubina wrote about the fact that February is Heart Health month, and that heart attack risks are on the rise for women the world over. She also touched on the generalization that women tend to make by taking heart disease for granted, assuming that it is a ‘man’s disease’. A big and extremely fatal mistake as statistics show that 23% of women over the age of 40 who have suffered a heart attack are likely to die within the year of a second attack, as opposed to 18% for men.
Her newsletter also included a list of heart-healthy foods such as oats, soy protein, salmon and spinach to name a few. Blueberries topped the list as the food most power-packed with goodness.

The more I read, the more I was convinced that blueberries are very deserving of their title - something not to be trifled with. However, taking geography and our currency exchange into account, blueberries are not something a large majority of us can enjoy on a regular basis. Nyet. Blueberries in Kota Kinabalu are about as elusive as a main road free of traffic congestion on a weekday.
Yes these little parcels of heart health are available, but be prepared to dig deep wallet-wise, and grab them while you can.

It was with that in mind that I started making a small list of foods with health benefits that are readily available in South East Asia. Yes I’m not above making an effort, but I’m not that hardworking I assure you. Again, I’m not a hypocrite. I’m simply trying to be realistic.


Online health sites and studies confirm one massive red flag in overall heart health: Obesity leads to some seriously dangerous issues. I made note of this, gave my love handles an affectionate squeeze goodbye, and decided that instead of a 20 minute run 3 times a week, I would do well to increase my cardio to 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week.


Daily workouts provide the energy boost needed to tackle a full day at work. As I’m one who enjoys getting out of bed literally at the crack of dawn, an early morning work-out would only do me good. And one of the most important factors here would be that this would pretty much guarantee that I’d have to have breakfast – a culinary notion that I’d often toyed with, but would usually ignore. Now, with a grumbling stomach to attend to, I’d have no choice but to give in to the most important meal of the day.


So back to that list of readily available healthy options: It should go without saying that the first thing to grab my attention was red wine with its antioxidant prowess which I’m sure many of us are aware of by now. Expert opinions vary between the ideal recommended intakes, from 4-8 ounces to a standard glass full. Olive oil, another favourite of mine, is superb in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease.

Almonds are great for keeping cholesterol levels in check, are rich in Vitamin E and other healthy oils, and are a great source of fibre as well as being a pretty decent snack. I remember my mother trying her best to get me to drink milk that was heated with ground almonds when I was a kid. And all I ever did was complain about how it made my throat itch. If only I knew then what I do now.

I used to love apples when I was young, sometimes going through 3 to 4 apples a day. And I was very pleased to read that apples act as an inflammatory, and help to prevent blot clots. I have begun thinking of ways to incorporate apples into my diet by way of salads.


In my earlier rambling about my shopping skills, I briefly mentioned purchasing some salmon sashimi. Fish is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acid which decreases the risk of arrhythmias, or abnormal heartbeats. Omega-3 also has numerous benefits that go beyond heart health.
Do also be aware that there are certain fish with high levels of mercury. A little reading will help you to decide what source of Omega-3 is best for you.

In summation, I have to state that I am no health professional. Until recently I had a pretty blasé and somewhat childish approach to my health, in that I kept putting off the fact that I could easily incorporate a reasonable amount of natural and beneficial nutrients into my diet, easily and without fuss.

I do not claim to make any tremendous changes in my social activities. I will still continue to eat out and, on occasion, will probably skip the odd meal here and there. But I do intend to restore balance to the way I live. I do not believe in abstinence. But I am going to try to enjoy everything that life has to offer, in a relatively moderate fashion from now on.






No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.