Friday 15 July 2011

Between Generation X and Y

Published November 2009

Wikipedia defines Generation X as the generation born after the baby boom ended, with birth years ranging from 1961 to 1981.

Often also regarded as the “baby bust” years, the term was popularised by Jane Deverson and Charles Hamblett in their book, aptly titled “Generation X” - a sociology study on teen behaviour throughout the 60s.

Author Douglas Coupland’s 1991 novel “Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture” focused on the lives of young adults in the 80s. While Coupland’s title may have properly introduced the term to mainstream readers, he credited one Billy Idol with it. Idol used to be a member of a punk band (Generation X) and an interesting fact to note is that Idol attributed the name of said group to a research paper by none other than Deverson and Hamblett.

I did a fair bit of reading online and I have to admit to still being stumped, if not more confused than I usually am – and that’s saying a lot. Certain sociologists propose and put forth that Gen X ends in the mid-1970s. If I am a Gen Xer simply by merit of birth year, does that mean that events that happened during the Generation Y (1982-2000) period still apply to Xers? Or do the Ys have it?


As this is my column, and I’m usually pretty responsible about facts, figures, artistic licences and liberties, I’m going to go out on a limb and honestly admit that no amount of reading or research was able to give me a definitive answer.


So if you would be so kind as to permit me a small bon mot I will happily carry on about the point of my writing today – namely, events and media offerings that helped to shape a ‘Sub-Generation’ if you like. Those who were born between the very late 60s and the end of the 70s, who were at the best possible position to enjoy 80s pop culture and witness important world events that helped to shape history.


My friends and I are Sub-Geners and we grew up in interesting times. We were a part of the first group of people that had relatively widespread television access during formative years in comparison to our predecessors.
A large majority of Sub-Geners are familiar with the term ‘Reaganomics’, the fall of Communism in the USSR and the tearing down of the Berlin Wall. The atrocities of the Khmer Rouge’s bloody regime in Kampuchea was on the news almost every day. There was talk of a new supervirus called the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. The Challenger space shuttle exploded 73 seconds into flight, killing all 7 astronauts on board. This period also showcased quite possibly the last golden moments for the British Royal family with the marriage of Lady Diana Spencer to Charles, Prince of Wales. And how could we forget the USA For Africa initiative which saw millions of dollars being raised for the great Ethiopian famine of 1984 thanks to the single “We Are The World” and benefit events “Hands Across America” and “Live Aid”.


On the lighter side the 80s gave us some pretty awesome big and small screen shows. George Lucas, John Hughes and his Brat Pack as well as Cameron Crowe’s “Say Anything” technically ruled the box office but we were the MTV Generation for sure. I still remember the very first music video I ever watched – “Alive And Kicking” by Simple Minds. It had been taped by my older brother who was studying abroad and had access to cable TV. He recorded about 12 music videos and posted the tape to me. I watched them each and every day without fail. Living in the boondocks of Labuan pretty much guaranteed that there was little to no access to music videos and this was my only outlet. I loved that tape almost as much as I loved my Care Bear. Yes, I had a Care Bear. You may stop laughing at leisure.


This period saw the birth of a number of necessary and highly-regarded inventions of the computer age. I was familiar with the Apple brand name but I was more interested in our Atari game console. Hours were spent glued to the tube, fighting off Space Invaders. This soon led to a green-screened home computer complete with floppy disks.
I know that disposable cameras and disposable contact lenses were invented in the 80s but I had little to no need for either one of them so never really paid much attention. At that age I was too busy balancing school, homework, my music and Nintendo.

But going back to the Sub-Generation term for a second, I think I’m on to a good thing there. Now to come up with a suitable term for it and we’re good to go.

Sources: www.wikipedia.com/www.time.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.