Thursday 26 May 2011

A Few Good Reads

Published July 2009

It has recently come to my attention that I spend a substantial amount of time online. Be it for the addictive lure that is Facebook, to fulfilling my daily news intake requirement and onwards to some regular blogs – the internet is something I doubt I could do without for, say, longer than 3 days.

For this week’s column I have chosen to write a little more about my daily haunts online. Reason being someone I know quite well asked me for a list of sorts, so that they could update themselves on “what was happening out there.”

My current profession is one that requires me to surf online. A lot. Even the term ‘surfing’ is one that I find a little redundant nowadays. I’ll be honest in admitting that I cringe a little when having to use it, but I have yet to come across its successor.

So anyways back to my ‘surfing’. I promised said friend a list and delivered. I veered towards sites that were relevant to things that were of interest to me. And then figured it would be a great idea to share some of these sites here too.

Now I do have to do the disclaimer bit and say that these are my personal picks and faves. I can’t take responsibility for content on the sites and encourage you to use your own judgement and sense of perspective in these matters.

I have selected a few that I enjoy as they either crack me up (if you’ve met me, you’ll agree this is a good thing) or give me light hearted food for thought – puns fully intended, you’ll see why in a bit.


FMyLife – www.fmylife.com
Yes, the ‘F’ in the title is that very same ubiquitous four letter word often used on a regular basis by many, myself included.
FMyLife is a hilarious site that features true tales of sheer bad luck with a voting system that allows readers to decide if the individual does indeed have it rough, or if they in any way asked for it and therefore deserves less to no empathy.
Take this fine example of FMyLife-ness : “Today my daughter used Pledge to clean the wooden staircase. I found out when I tried to walk down them in socks.” While I do sympathise with the protagonist, I also found myself snickering at the mental picture of a man flailing about in his socks.



DABA or Dating a Banker Anonymous – www.dabagirls.com
With all eyes turning to the financial capitals of the world in this current economic climate, spare a thought for the women behind the big guys. This site is a witty and sarcastic take on all things related to downsizing in style and the life of dating a banker from the women who know best. Get acquainted with the term ‘Quarterlife Crisis’ and Recession Friendly Dating Tips as DABA Girls swap notes and advice on Love In The Time Of Layoff.



The Travelling Hungryboy – www.eatbma.blogspot.com
I have been an avid reader of The Travelling Hungryboy for well over two years now. A working professional currently based in Singapore, TTH describes his blog as “gastronomic adventures and epicurean musings from a United 1K traveller who thinks that Anthony Bourdain has the coolest job in the world.”
TTH’s blog is easy to enjoy as he updates regularly. Coupled with a handy cameraphone which allows him to capture images of food and drink throughout his travels. TTH displays a clear passion for many different sorts of cuisines (I particularly enjoy his airplane food reviews)making this a daily-must read for me.


The Curious Diary of Mr. Jam by Nury Vittachi – www.mrjam.typepad.com
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I am a huge fan of Nury Vittachi. Having had the privilege to interview this gem of a man twice in the past, I am of the firm belief that Nury is Asia’s funniest writer bar none.
A popular figure in Hong Kong’s lit scene, Nury’s daily columns are published in several leading newspapers around the region and he also has a series of books under his belt. So yes, it goes without saying that when he writes, he writes well.
On his site he waxes lyrical on the comical in daily life and does a brilliant job of it. From the vortex of one’s living room sofa (akin to a parallel universe, the things you could find stuck under there) to the classic defence on why men don’t write advice columns, expect some seriously entertaining reading and side-splitting observations on life in Asia.


So there you have it. My choice of daily reading. Please do bear in mind that I’ve not included the more serious sites with news updates and ‘important stuff’ but instead have gone ahead and assumed that most people reading this would already be well versed with the likes of CNN, BBC and the plethora of up-to-the-minute online news available.

Let us also not forget friends and family who blog. Chances are if you’re not a blogger yourself, you’ll know someone who is. And yes I do check in on my fellow bloggers on a regular basis just to see what’s new on their planet. I am still chuckling to myself from an earlier visit to my friend Yolanda’s blog. On her latest update she posted several humorous taglines under the heading Words For Women To Live By. I liked No.7 which read “Let your greatest fear be that there is no PMS and this is just your personality.”

And then there No. 9 - my personal favourite which resonated and summed me up to a T: “Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse, slander or hearsay. Play nice.